Sunday 28 February 2010

Back after the break

Ok, ok, that is a DREADFUL pun, but I couldn't think of anything else. *hangs head in shame*

Stoke-v-Arsenal 27/02/2010 (K.O. 5.30pm)

What can I say? I was watching the match at home, but (as is my habit) doing other things at the same time. As such I missed THAT tackle during the live game. Hearsay immediately afterwards wasn't good, and the reactions of the other players spoke volumes about the severity of the injury. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it though (I've never been able to watch the Eduardo incident), and wondered how much I could trust the reports given by others.

In the end though I watched it on MotD,
saw the tackle for myself, and having heard Wenger's reaction post-match (and seen some of the comments made by other Gooners on message boards) I'm wondering if I was watching the same thing as they were. The Boss has said it was a horrendous tackle, but from what I saw it was just really, really unfortunate. Shawcross didn't go in studs up, he didn't just try and scythe Ramsey down, he was going for the ball. It was a little clumsy, but I really don't believe there was any malice there. We've seen nasty, vicious tackles before - this wasn't one of them.

I'm actually really disappointed with Wenger's comments. It's a real b*stard shame that we've had three similar injuries now in the space of five years, but he should have held his tongue until he had a chance to watch a replay of the incident. If he still thinks it's a 'horrendous' tackle after watching it again then I'd be surprised.


Final score: Stoke 1 - 3 Arsenal

The latest update on Ramsey is that he's sustained fractures to the tibia and fibula in his right leg.
He's undergone surgery to reduce the fractures, and although he'll be out of action for some considerable time he should make a full recovery.

No comments: